About the Online Academy
The Practising the Piano Online Academy is the ultimate online resource for mastering and teaching the piano. It features a constantly growing library of over 300 articles, thousands of musical excerpts and hundreds of videos on topics including practising, piano technique, performing and teaching from leading experts.
What is it?
The Practising the Piano Online Academy is an extensive, searchable, and regularly updated library of lessons, articles and resources which:
- Demonstrates topics and concepts relating to playing and teaching the piano with multimedia content, interactive features and resources such as musical examples, worksheets and annotated scores which can be downloaded and printed.
- Expands on practice tools and strategies with masterclasses and tutorials applying them to popular pieces in the repertoire, exam syllabuses and specific technical challenges.
- Shares the expertise of leading experts on subjects including applied theory, improvisation and healthy piano playing.
- Is regularly updated, easily searchable and allow for personalisation with bookmarking and notes.
- Develops based on your input, responding to your questions and suggestions for new content to meet your needs.
What will it do for you?
Whether you are a budding student, keen amateur, passionate piano teacher or a professional musician, the Practising the Piano Online Academy will provide you with the knowledge and resources at your finger-tips to:
- Get the best possible results from your time spent practising the piano
- Avoid injury and overcome technical difficulties with panache
- Learn new pieces quickly and master trouble spots or challenging areas within the repertoire
- Deliver performances or achieve examination results which reflect your full potential
- Inspire your students and enhance their enjoyment of the piano.
Topics and content
- Practising – Learn how to get the most out of your time spent practising with practice tools and methodologies based on Graham Fitch’s highly acclaimed blog and eBook series
- Technique – Overcome technical challenges, improve your scales and arpeggio playing or learn how to avoid tension and develop a healthy, effortless technique
- Learning Pieces – Continuously growing library of study editions, walkthroughs, masterclasses and resources for over fifty popular works of varying levels
- Performing – Overcome performance anxiety, learn how to improvise or find resources to assist you in preparation for an ABRSM or Trinity examination
- Teaching - Develop your teaching skills and empower your students with our extensive collection of resources for teachers developed in partnership with the Piano Teachers' Course UK
Click here to take a tour of our content highlights and site features.
The Online Academy is packed with information which simply wasn't available to me despite majoring in piano performance at university. Graham's articles on pedaling and Penelope Roskell's approach to healthy playing are just some of the resources I wish I had access to!
— Amateur pianist
As a piano teacher I am always wanting to improve both my teaching content but also my own personal growth. Being incredibly busy as so many of us are, I don't have time to take private lessons myself so this is an absolute Godsend for me. Thank you for all of your hard work. You've definitely filled a niche!
— Piano teacher
The Online Academy is a wonderful source to go to in times of confusion, it encourages you to think about new ways of study, supports your interest in all things piano and is full of exciting general information about the world of music. Thank you all so much for the work and dedication that goes into this brilliant resource!
— Conservatory student
This is an invaluable resource for teachers and students. I like the 'bite-size' approach of the walk-through process.
— Piano teacher
I really needed the inspiration and knowledge and guidance i have received from the academy. I really hope the available material continues to grow. I can not emphasise enough how much I have learned and enjoyed this, and been inspired.
— Adult amateur
The most professional piano related site I've found to date!
— University professor
The Academy is a treasure trove of enormously helpful material thoughtfully presented by excellent teachers and pianists. Thank you so much for this stellar resource and for your willingness to listen to user feedback!
— Adult beginner