The Practice Tools in Action
25 Nov 2020 @ 12:00 UTC
Following on from his popular series of workshops on The Practice Tools, in this new workshop Graham Fitch provides a practical demonstration of the tools using a selection of elementary, intermediate and advanced repertoire from the ABRSM syllabus. Graham will show ow the tools can be used to:
- Learn the notes
- Solve technical problems
- Finesse an interpretation
- Work on tonal control and variety of sound
The pieces Graham will be covering include:
- Schumann: Melodie (No. 1 from Album for the Young) (Grade 1, B:1)
- Elisabetta de Gambarini: Minuet in A (from Lessons for the Harpsichord, Op. 2) (Grade 2, A:2)
- Beethoven: Ecossaise in Eb (No. 4 from Six Ecossaises, WoO 83) (Grade 3, A:1)
- Bach: Prelude in C minor, BWV 999 (Grade 4, A:1)
- Tchaikovsky: Douce rêverie (No. 21 from Album for the Young) (Grade 5, B:3)
- Debussy: Page d’album (Grade 6, B:2)
- Fauré: Andante moderato (No. 5 from Pièces brèves, Op. 84) (Grade 7, B:1)
- Clara Schumann: Prelude and Fugue in Bb (No. 2 from Three Preludes and Fugues, Op. 16) (Grade 8, A:3)
It is recommended to have copies of the scores available for the workshop so that you can follow along (we will provide links to public domain scores for each of the works if you don’t have them).
Who it's for?
Although the pieces chosen are from the new ABRSM syllabus, these are standard repertoire and will be of value to pianists and teachers regardless of whether you are taking or preparing a student for an ABRSM exam. The primary focus of this session is on providing detailed demonstrations of how to practise and to teach the rarely taught art of practising.
There is no need to have attended one of our previous Practice Tools workshops as the various tools will be introduced in the context of the repertoire examples. If you have already attended a previous workshop then this session may be of particular interest if you’re looking to deepen your understanding and see the tools in use.
There will be plenty of opportunity for questions and answers. The session will also be recorded and all participants will receive a link to download the video by email shortly after the workshop.
Click here to subscribe and save 40% on this product!